"What embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but an absence of self-criticism." - G.K. Chesterton

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cherish the moment

Just found out yesterday that my good friend Brad's brother passed away unexpectedly over the weekend. I guess it was a massive heart attack. He was only 38. Brad is understandably in a real state of shock.

Please, my friends don't take your life for granted. Entertain the big picture, keep your trials in perspective. Rejoice in the good things you have for today for there's no guarantee you'll have them tomorrow.

It would be a shame for the play to end while we were out in the lobby buying popcorn.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt M said...

So sorry to hear about that.

I'm in 100% complete agreement with what you've said.

4:03 PM

 
Blogger Timmo said...

Alex,

I am sorry to hear about Brad's brother passing away.

You're quite right about not taking life for granted. Death has an unfortunate way of bring things into focus, or putting them into perspective, as you put it.

I will you keep you three in my prayers. God Bless.

2:55 AM

 
Blogger Alex said...

Thanks guys,
Much appreciated. We brought some food over for them last night. I know when dad passed away last year little things like that were an amazing comfort. Times like these really have a way of opening people's hearts in a way that was previously not allowed. Silly cultural inhibitions are lessened. It's okay to be real. to be scared. to cry. to give a hug.

It's amazing how quickly you can be made to realize what it is that is worth valuing. It's also amazing how quickly one can be brought to see all the things we thought we valued are really pointless. He was talking to me about how hard it is to think about going back to work at the ad agency (where we both worked). It's just so absurd and dirty feeling.

Heh... I told him, now you know what happened to me. ;-)

8:25 AM

 
Blogger Linda said...

Alex,

My thoughts are with you and your friend's family.

Suddenly losing someone close to us is a real shocker, I know. It puts so many things into a different (correct) perspective.

I truly believe that what God (regardless of the different views) ultimately wants for us is to "live" our lives fully and appreciate every moment with the people (and things) we love.

7:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home