"What embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but an absence of self-criticism." - G.K. Chesterton

Friday, May 18, 2007

The Atheism Tapes II - Jonathan Miller and Colin McGinn

Thanks to Matt for turning me onto The Atheist Tapes. I swear I could sit around and listen to these kinds of discussions all day! In todays installment, Jonathan Miller is speaking with antitheist philosopher Colin McGinn. I was particularly interested in the second part of this three part discussion where McGinn is addressing the Euthyphro eilemma. (a dilemma that I see only problematic because of it's first principals) McGinn goes on to mention the fear many theists have about the loss of an objective morality, but then continues to speak at length about a real 'moral quality'.

In fact, it would seem his prime motivating factor for being an antitheist is because he views 'religion' in general to be immoral. I see this as yet another confirmation of what I was getting at in my last posting.

I was hoping he would describe what foundation he is anchoring his moral claims to, as he seemed to genuinely believe that he was speaking truth while asserting moral claims. Unfortunately for me, he simply attacked the Euthyphro dilemma and moved on. Ah well.

Part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous San Angelo Upholstery said...

Good reading this post

5:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home