"What embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but an absence of self-criticism." - G.K. Chesterton

Thursday, September 20, 2007

"What did she ever do to me?"

I don't want to draw attention away from the debates on Just Thinking's post below, but I'd like to point people towards this article (found via Friendly Christian) on remembering that at the heart of all contentious issues are human beings just like us:

I enjoyed the attention I was getting. The newsletter of a local cult awareness expert described me as a ‘heroine of the faith’. I felt like I was doing something worthwhile by warning people about this heretical leader. I hoped she would repent and realize her beliefs were wrong. However she entrenched and sent out newsletters about how she was being persecuted for the sake of righteousness.

Around the beginning of December I made the mistake of thinking about the leader as another human being. I realized “Wow, I am being so mean – what did she ever do to me?” I had taken her workshop some time before this and it actually had some tips in it I found helpful. I also realized that holding up one particular measuring stick against her gave very distorted results – it was unfair. If I was honest, I knew from the workshops that she had great trust in God and great faith in him. He was her loving Father – there was no doubt about that.

Once I realized how mean I was being I couldn’t continue. I took down my Trinity website page and posted an apology to the leader in place of it. I sent her a written apology in the mail. I received a response back from her with a photo of her family. That response meant more to me – and still does – than all the acclaim I received for my stint in the doctrine police.

I don't want to come across as all Kumbaya on you, but one of the things I've learnt through debating both off- and on-line is that a little humility goes a long way...

Now how about a group hug? ;-)

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Just Thinking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:55 PM

 
Blogger Just Thinking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:16 PM

 
Blogger Matt M said...

Hi Just Thinking,

I hope you didn't feel that this post was in any way aimed at you! If anything it was a reminder to myself to keep things in perspective - I found myself getting a little frustrated on the free will debate, largely at my inability to explain my position properly. Sadly, on a blog that simply comes across as a generalised snarkiness.

This, along with the 'Why I'm here' post below are ways of telling myself that it's good to take a step back once in a while, breath deeply and remember that the purpose of this blog is to help us all rather than score points.

For what it's worth, I'm really glad that you found your way here as new voices - especially intelligent and well-written ones - are always welcome. I'm sure that Alex will agree.

This has been nothing short of torture for me - It is absolutely terrifying every time I post something here.

One of the great things about blogging is it really helps make you more confident in your views - out of all the people here I'm probably the one with the least education and experience to back up my views, but I just have to put my opinions out there in the hope that through the debates that follow I can build on what's good and junk what's bad.

Coming up against people who disagree with me and can back up their views with strong arguments is probably the best learning experience I could have. This blog forces me to re-evaluate what I believe and seek out what others have had to say on these topics. I can only thank you for being part of that.

I should probably stop now. I'm English after all and we have rules about this sort of thing - stiff upper lip and emotional detachment, etc. :-)

5:33 AM

 
Blogger Just Thinking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:40 AM

 
Blogger Just Thinking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:06 AM

 
Blogger Just Thinking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:12 PM

 
Blogger Just Thinking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:59 PM

 
Blogger Just Thinking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home